Start Praying in Tongues

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by plain_n_simple, May 13, 2013.

1. Thomas Helwys New Member

If you knew and admitted the truth about a doctrine, it would be easier to defend.

2. awaken Active Member

No, I am just sharing the Word as it is written! I am sorry it offends you!

3. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No offense to us, its just that you are NOT defending the bible, but a bad understanding of what it means!

Did you get this understanding from careful bible study, or did your pastor, a teacher, some author 'reveal' this to you?

4. awaken Active Member

I searched it out myself!

5. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What guidelines did you use to study the scriptures with?

6. awaken Active Member

A lot of prayer! Including praying in the spirit! So can we get off my study habits and get back to the OP!

7. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You don't want to post to the OP. In fact by your own admission you didn't even listen to the link, and that was the OP, so really, you are not even interested in the OP. What are you here for--just pushing your own agenda?
    I quoted you part of what the OP said:

"If one does not speak in tongues they are in great jeopardy."

That is in the OP. The link is a Charismatic preaching and it is just over ten minutes long.

Thus when you tell Yeshua to get back to the OP, just what are you commanding him to do. You won't even discuss the OP. A bit hypocritical are you not?

Furthermore, he challenges you to study your Bible. It is obvious that you have only studied your Bible in the light of other Charismatics. What is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. There is no such thing as a subsequent "baptism of the Holy Spirit," which you tell others that they must seek. Where in the Bible is this commanded. It isn't. You are telling others that they should have an experience that isn't in the Bible or commanded to have in the Bible. That is not Biblical. You are delving into heresy and want to spread it here. But that is what you have been doing for a long time now isn't it?

8. awaken Active Member

DHK! The OP is not about my study habits, period!

You base your teaching on human reasoning about God! It is amazing how you take principles from the Bible and change them to fit some kind of religious resoning or denominational thinking. God does not confirm the teachings of men when it has been falsly put out as His Word. God has promised to confirm His Word, not what men say concerning His Word!

9. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You won't address the OP yourself. Why are you commanding others to do it. Quit playing the roles of both hypocrite and martyr.
    Perhaps the OP isn't about your study habits, but you won't address the OP, so why are you posting in a thread where you haven't addressed the OP? And then tell others to address the OP, and you don't have a clue what the OP says because your totally ignorant of it???
    I have based my teaching on the Word of God and you haven't been able to refute it. The best you have is "that is your opinion." That is not a refutation.
    The next rebuttal you have is:
    "You base your teaching on human reasoning."
    No, I have given you the Word of God which you can't refute.

I challenge you to show me in the Bible where there is a command to "Be baptized with the Holy Spirit." There is no human reasoning here. If we were to have a subsequent blessing or baptism of the Spirit there would be a command given to that effect, but there is none. You have no Biblical evidence or you would give it.
    Again, just hot air. Prove your allegations. I have given you Scripture but you cannot give any refutation of it. Where is the command to be baptized of the Spirit.
    Back up your silly ideas with the Word of God.
    I don't want your Charismatic gibberish; give me the Word of God.

10. awaken Active Member

I addressed your statement about the OP...So you can quit having a hissy fit!

I have but you refuse to see it!

I have answered this over and over! You just have nothing new to add to the debate so you keep bringing up what was already discussed!

You would deny what ever I post...just like you have in the past! I have posted where it tells us to ask for the Holy Spirit!

11. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"Asking for the Holy Spirit"????????????
    Where does the Bible command one to be baptized in the Spirit?
    Chapter and verse please.
    If you can't provide clear scripture I will conclude that your beliefs are grounded on heresy.

12. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 11:13

13. awaken Active Member

I HAVE NEVER SAID COMMAND!! I gave it in a previous thread...go back and find it!
    Jesus said it was going to be availble to all believers!

14. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gift of the holy spirit is what we ALL receive when saved, as he comes to seal and indwel ALL saved!

NOT describing a second aspect after salvation!

15. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    just saying that we need to know how you came to yourconclusions, and think that is pretty evident by your statement that you used tongues a lot in order to get to the "truth" of seeking tongues for today!

just a suggestion, try to read and apply a good primer in how to studty the bible...

Also. MUST see Acts as being a transistion book, or else your very foundation to start from is faulty!

16. awaken Active Member

Maybe if you would include the book of Acts for an example of what the church is suppose to be...your foundation would not be faulty!!

17. awaken Active Member

That is the indwelling Holy Spirit! We are born of the Spirit/made alive/ reconnected to God when we receive the indwelliing Holy Spirit...this produces the fruit in our lives.

The Spirit upon is what happens when we are baptized in the Holy Spirit! That is for power! (Acts 1)..this will be manifested in the nine gifts listed in 1 Cor. 12-14!

If you will notice in scriptures the baptism comes UPON BELIEVERS! The Holy Spirit does not empower our flesh! It empowers our spirit! Our spirit first has to be born again before the Holy Spirit can empower us!

18. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ALL who have received the HS have that power, its God Himself indwelling us!

ALL said to have received a Gift from HS, so it NOT just for select Baptized in HG folks, but ALL!

19. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that is the norm.

20. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts WAS the example given to us... For the Apostolic Church!

Do ou hold to God restoring back the Apsotolic age to the church now 1905?