Sunday Attire?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 23, 2013.

?
  1. Sunday morning: Men - suits or at least dress pants, shirt and tie

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Morning: Women - Pant suits [no jeans], or a dress, skirt and blouse

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Evening: Men - dress slacks, shirt, tie optional. No jeans

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Evening: Women - same as morning, never wear jeans

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Children and teens - same as parents for both services

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  6. Mid week: Men - dress pants, shirt with or without a tie, no jeans

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. Mid week: Women - Pant suits, no jeans, dress or skirts optional

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Children and teens - same as parents

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  9. Pastor on Sunday - Nothing less than a suit and tie

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  10. Pastor mid week - dress pants, shirt and tie is optional

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are right, I just assumed the IFB dress code. Maybe he wears an astronaut suit as you can't get much closer to the third heaven than the second.

2. pk4life Member

Hold on now... we attend IFB services, and our pastor doesn't hold to a strict dress code.

:smilewinkgrin: just so yah know, not all are hung up on pure legalism

But... I do know whatcha mean, I grew up that way.

I heard my pastor father, and my mother, talk down about peoples attire all the time. It's sad, really. The amount of time it has taken me to unlearn how to approach people, and start doing it in a truly Godly manner, is years and years after moving out of that house, and moving on from that church.

3. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pk4life = preacher's kid for life?

4. jbh28 Active Member

which post?

I didn't get mad. I simply made an observation that you thought I was unfamiliar with the Bible I asked what you meant by a phrase. I know what verse you are referring to.(and even if I wasn't familiar with one verse, doesn't mean that I'm not failure with the Bible. Again, a totally uncalled for response again from you. That's why I asked because you have no clue as to what my church teaches.

5. pk4life Member

yeah, it never goes away, :laugh:

6. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :godisgood:

That's refreshing to hear...life after legalism! Thank you Jesus

7. saturneptune New Member

So have you ever hit yourself with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop?

8. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :applause:
    ROFL! now there is an eye opener

9. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This belongs on the Political section!!:eek: :rolleyes:

10. sag38 Active Member

Are you suggesting that you are so heavenly that you know the right way to dress and the rest of us don't? You are a Christian and the rest of us are worldly (in other words, "lost".) It is against the rules of this forum to make such accusations. Dude,you have a big chip on your shoulder. Pride comes before a fall and fall hard you will if you don't repent of such an attitude.*

Wow, I didn't know that disciplining someone involved teaching a man that he has to dress according to Johndeere's standards. Could you please show us the verse. You cannot use the books of I Opinions or II Traditions.

11. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church asks for modesty. Occasionally some women/girls will wear a dress. Guess I don't care or notice.

Occasionally some man/boy will wear a shirt/tie or even sports coat. Rarely. Most of the time it is slacks and flannel shirt. Cowboy boots are as normal as sneakers.

And the pastor? (Me). I have worn a tie 5-6 times in 8 years. I wear banded collars a lot. But last Sunday I wore a lime-green polo shirt, tan dockers and sandals. I was dressed better or equal to all the men. Not a tie in the flock, much less a coat!

We are just thankful that folks love God, come to church (some drive 100+ each way to attend) to worship and not hung up on clothes. Modest. Clean.

12. saturneptune New Member

I like your outlook on this thread.

13. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I miss the bow tie - just for ole time sakes, can you post a picutre?

Thats a whole another issue

We have established that modesty is a Biblical standard - but would James 2:3 pertain to clean clothes? a man who wears clothes out of style, a lady who has no ideal how to coordinate colors, ect, ect
    Where do we draw the line?

I'm sure each one of us has a prejudice against somebody based on their dress.

How about - "Look at him - he wears a coat and tie each week." Are any of us guilt of that?

14. Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Insufficient Poll

I was limited in my participation of the POLL because it didn't reflect enough options.
    There is nothing wrong or unbiblical with blue jeans on men or denim skirts on women and there were no options that allowed either on ANY day. That said I do feel that, unless that is the best someone has available to wear, they should, as a matter of respect to God and His "house", wear better if possible to at least the Sunday service(s). I guess I'm just a bit "old school" in that regard. For me, these days, that would be a nice pair of dress slacks, a nice shirt and tie and some dress shoes. It tears me up to see kids and adults show up in sandals, shorts, with their shirt tails hanging out, etc. This ain't the beach or a movie....this is where we go to worship the holy God of Heaven! (or at least IT SHOULD BE) (stepping OFF my soapbox now...!)However, I will say there is no LAW that dictates such things and it is a blessing to have folk attend regardless of how they are dressed (unless they come naked:laugh:).

Either way...I did participate in the few sections of the poll that I felt applied to me or that were relevant to my opinion on the matter.

Let me just say this....I think it is true that IF we went to work or school dressed like SOME dress these days when they go to church, we might be reprimanded, fired or sent home as being inappropriately "attired". Just something to think about. It is all about the HEART. I think it is generally true that what is on the "inside" is generally reflected (sooner or later) on the outside.

Bro.Greg:saint:

15. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So JohnDeereFan is going to tell us that we are wrong when we suggest clothing that is appropriate for wear to church on Sunday yet after being asked to name what he thinks men should wear, he refuses.

16. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK ..... lets just drop it ITL. This bickering over dumb stuff is getting us nowhere. & I'm just as guilty for even encouraging it. & I dont care what anybody says, Im wearing a kilt to church.... :smilewinkgrin:

17. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If its like the other thread he is participating in with me, he will claim to have answered it...maybe even twice.:BangHead:

18. JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, actually, each time I've been asked, I've stated that it isn't my responsibility to tell grown men how to dress.

But your usual tactic of slander and dishonesty is duly noted.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go ahead and toss you in the rubbish bin of my ignore list.

19. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dont tease me like that :)

You have no problem in telling men what not to wear. The hypocrisy can be cut with a chain saw!

And ftr, slander only applies when saying falsehoods about someone. I've proven to be quite accurate with your character.

20. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read the entire thread yesterday and noted that JDF never once stated his opinion on what should be worn to church (except it should be different from what you wear during the week) while telling everyone else that they have wrong ideas.

But, I'll let it go....and I'm thinking wife beater tee shirt and cut-off jean shorts with baseball cap and flip-flops this Sunday. I don't wear that during the week.