Sunday Attire?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 23, 2013.

?
  1. Sunday morning: Men - suits or at least dress pants, shirt and tie

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Morning: Women - Pant suits [no jeans], or a dress, skirt and blouse

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Evening: Men - dress slacks, shirt, tie optional. No jeans

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Evening: Women - same as morning, never wear jeans

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Children and teens - same as parents for both services

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  6. Mid week: Men - dress pants, shirt with or without a tie, no jeans

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. Mid week: Women - Pant suits, no jeans, dress or skirts optional

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Children and teens - same as parents

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  9. Pastor on Sunday - Nothing less than a suit and tie

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  10. Pastor mid week - dress pants, shirt and tie is optional

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Based on your posts to me in this thread, I don't believe you're sincere or that you're going to respond to anything I say with anything but mockery and personal attacks.

I just don't see any wisdom in arguing with you according to your folly.

Dress in a way that expresses reverence. Period. That's all you're getting from me.

2. jbh28 Active Member

I promise you that I will not do that.
    Let's discuss the topic. Stop talking about everyone else. I've not been mean to you, let's discuss the topic. I want to discuss the topic with someone I don't see eye to eye on. I may be wrong. Let's discuss the topic.

3. Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Huh????

Huh???? P4T...where in the world did you get all of that? Or was that just YOUR TURN to "step up to the plate" and hit the next negative zinger out of the park in this thread.

This is not now nor EVER has been about me. I will freely admit that any "dress code" that I may adhere too is either preference or tradition-based with one exception (which I do believe the Bible does address...) that exception would be the matter of nudity or modesty. MY OPINION is that we should adorn ourselves with an attitude of reverence and respect for God. I don't think you can go wrong if you do that and yes...with the proliferation of near-nudity that this world seems to be obsessed with nowadays, I think we, as Christians, will find ourselves out-of-step with the world around us if we conduct ourselves in a way that would HONOR GOD....both inwardly...and OUTWARDLY.

Further...I don't even HAVE a suit anymore (at least not one that fits me:laugh:). I will maintain my opinion...I think we should at least TRY to look our best when we go to church (or anywhere else for that matter). I am thoroughly convinced by the way some people look when they go out that some of these people MUST NOT own a mirror or have one in their house anymore. Incredible.

All that said...I am happy to see folks at church regardless....whether you believe that or not.

Bro.Greg:saint:

4. preacher4truth Active Member

I don't believe that given your previous stance, but I think you're capable of talking yourself out of your own held beliefs if it is fitting for the occasion.

Methinks you're trying to polish yourself into something else. Your criticisms prior betray your words above and your rebuke toward this (calling on mods to delete the thread because your man made traditions aren't upheld, which was by the way totally ridiculous) in a previous post buffers such an belief. :thumbsup: :wavey:

5. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can we at least find some minimal standard of dress? I understand JDF's angle on reverence being a part of your dress code for church, but your mileage may vary as to what that might be.

In my opinion, if you've got 'nicer' clothes and Sunday is your day off from work, you ought to put on something a bit more dressy than jeans and a tee shirt or shorts and a tee shirt.

Just as you (probably, hopefully) wouldn't wear shorts and a tee shirt to your child's college graduation ceremony, or wear jeans and a baseball cap to a wedding, or wear shorts and sandals to meet the President, you shouldn't wear this stuff to church, either. It's simple etiquette, and respect for the event. Somewhere along the way we as a society have lost the idea that going to church is special.

I'm not saying you have to wear a suit and tie. I'm not saying you have to wear a tie and jacket. What I am saying, if you are an adult male, is:

1. no shorts (unless it's hot and your church does not have air conditioning, and the shorts are not ratty-looking.)
    2. no tee shirts, esp. tee shirts with logos or advertisements. Shirts should have a collar on them. (Polo shirts have collars.)
    3. No sandals or flip flops.
    4. You must wear socks.

Please avoid jeans and athletic shoes as well, though I'm not adamant about it.

Personally, I usually wear khakis or Dockers and a dress shirt (no tie) or a polo shirt, with casual dress shoes like loafers, or else dress shoes. Easter and Christmas I will wear a suit and tie.

These are simply my opinions and I have no Biblical basis for them. I would NEVER tell anyone at church that they are not correctly dressed. I do not look down at people that wear these types of clothing, it's just something that I would not do. My teenage sons wear shorts to church in the summer, jeans in the winter. I'm fine with that.

Thoughts?

6. jbh28 Active Member

What you seem to be saying is that we should dress for church based on the type of occasion that it is, just like we do for other places. We wear different things for different settings, and you would say that church is a place for a less casual setting. It would then have nothing to do with being spiritual or not, but just proper manners.

That I would agree with.

7. Mexdeaf New Member

Most honest words spoken in this thread. Thanks for qualifying what you said.

(As for graduation- I recently attended the graduation service at the community college I work at and most of the crowd, including the graduating students, were very casually dressed- some in shorts and tee shirts with logos. Since I was making an awards presentation, I wore a tie with my dress shirt and Dockers. It appears that college- or at least community college- graduations are no longer the dress-up affairs they once were.)

8. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it's basic etiquette. You are going to be in a social setting where there are people that are not going to know you so be on proper behavior. Show some proper decorum. Going to church is not as formal of an event as a wedding but neither is it as casual as going to a NASCAR event. What you wear to church is not an indication of your spiritual condition, but an indication of your manners.

9. Joined:
    Apr 11, 2013
    Half a generation ago, perhaps. Today, not so much. No one makes a judgment based on clothing anymore, unless it is just totally inappropriate or unkempt. Not in my neck of the woods anyway.

10. Mexdeaf New Member

Likewise. Men's Wearhouse isn't happy about it but that's just how it is nowadays. Especially here in W. Texas.

11. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congratulations on your speaking engagement. When you were deciding what to wear to this event you likely weighed your options and decided that a tie would be appropriate but full-on dress pants and a jacket was not. This is exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to dressing for church. Read the event and dress appropriately.

12. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I am in my fifties.

A couple of times a year I have the occasion to call on buyers at major corporations. In the past I've worn dress pants, dress shirt, tie and sportcoat with dress shoes. But these guys in this market segment are pretty laid back, so lately I've gone with khakis with dress shirt, tie and sportcoat with loafers. Next time I'm ditching the tie.

13. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do I wear my BEST clothes for church? No. My BEST would be a tux, cuffed shirt, cummerbund, etc. and never preached in it. :wavey:

Have never preached in my BEST robe (doctoral). I have a "wedding suit" and wear that with a banded collar if a formal wedding.:applause:

I love bow ties (it takes a REAL MAN to wear one) and taught every day as college dean/prof wearing one :thumbs:

I have a "birthday suit" but . . :tonofbricks:

14. Mexdeaf New Member

The tie was just me, there were other male presenters who had no tie.

If someone came to our church wearing a tie he would be overdressed.

15. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you still put penny's in your loafers? :thumbs:

16. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'll take a stab at it!

1. I agree with the shorts. If it's super hot then maybe. Hubby would wear shorts if he could because he has such bad eczema and letting air to his skin is best. Pants really irritate it especially in summer but he wears a pair of khakis and he changes as soon as he gets home.

2. Logo t-shirts, I agree with. But I wear t-shirts much of the time in the summer and they are nice t-shirts. My ratty ones get relegated to the barn bin but otherwise, a v-neck t-shirt and a skirt or slacks is what I tend to wear in warmer weather. On guys, I'd say a plain colored t-shirt would be fine.

3. What about women? That would leave me with sneakers or pumps and I won't wear either to church in the summer (sneakers - never, pumps only for winter dress). I'll wear my nice flip flops (not Old Navy 2/$3 ones but fancy ones that I'd wear with a very nice dress as well. Sandals are my only other footwear choice during the summer. For men, I think if they have a nice pair of leather sandals, that looks nice but usually a pair of boat shoes works well too. Which leads me to....

4. I never wear socks in the summer unless I'm running or horseback riding. :) And if you have a nice pair of boat shoes and a pair of dress shorts, socks kind of look funny. But then again, in Bermuda, the men wear suits with Bermuda shorts and tall socks. I giggle at that. :)

17. Site Supporter

I think I'll go a week without bathing or wearing deodorant, then wear a robe, sandals, & turban to a fundamental baptist church. Their condemnation of Jesus' & the apostles' attire would be priceless. Hmmm, I wonder what they wore underneath their robes. :rolleyes:

18. Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even 150 years ago, the smell (body odor, whale oil/kerosene lamps) would overpower us of today. But just the norm then.

Sort of like out hunting with the guys. 4-5 days without bathing, lots of sweat from walking the woods, cordite/gunpowder, beans and spam - yep, we put up with that.

Jewish men had five pieces of attire.
    (1) Shoes (leather sandals)
    (2) Head Covering (like a kafir of arabs today),
    (3) Shirt (like pullover t-shirt only down below knees)
    (4) Girdle (wide belt; men would reach between legs and grab back hem of "shirt" and pull it up in front and tuck it into belt, sort of like a "diaper"!) when in water, working, walking, etc.
    (5) Cloak (like a thick bathrobe; worn in cold; carried and used for blanket in warmer weather)

BTW, when Jesus was crucified each of the quaternion got choice of 1 item as "bonus" for crucifixion duty to resell/barter. The most expensive item they gambles for, rather than cut it up and make it worthless. In this case it was His cloak/robe that He had worn when a years' salary of ointment poured over His head and soak it. Soldier who won that bet (usually an "office pool" on which criminal would die first) got a valuable prize.

19. Joined:
    Apr 11, 2013
    Gotcha beat. I'm 61 (for the past six days now) and know exactly what you mean.

20. Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Oh Well.....

P4T...I'm fully aware of three things....#1- It is impossible to please everybody...#2- You don't really know me and are wrong about what you think I am.....and #3 - God knows my heart and still loves me anyway (praise His name)

For the record...The standards I hold myself too and my expectations for others around me are two VERY different things. It's not smart to have high expectations of other men who possess the same kind of vile fleshly nature that ALL of us have. The only real desire I have for myself is that THE LORD WOULD SANCTIFY ME (or to use your word....POLISH) and turn me into something that He could use for His own honor and glory while I'm still here. I pray that He will do that.

The only reason I suggested what I did about this thread is for the reason I stated....and that is that all the mud-slinging among professing Christians dishonors God and won't help the lost that may read it. I will admit that maybe my suggestion to the Mods MAY have been a bit extreme but it is very frustrating to me when these threads degenerate into the kind of uncivil talk that they often do. It wasn't about ANY standards or traditions that ANYBODY (including myself)on here has being "upheld". I even admitted that the "dress code" I practice is based mostly on preference and tradition except on the matter of modesty. I'm sorry that my comments don't meet your approval but I'll stand by them and continue to try and uphold what I believe to be the right way. I do not wish to engage in an argument with you or anyone else. I have said all I believe I need to say on this matter.

Bro.Greg:saint: