Sunday Attire?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 23, 2013.

?
  1. Sunday morning: Men - suits or at least dress pants, shirt and tie

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Morning: Women - Pant suits [no jeans], or a dress, skirt and blouse

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Evening: Men - dress slacks, shirt, tie optional. No jeans

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Evening: Women - same as morning, never wear jeans

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Children and teens - same as parents for both services

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  6. Mid week: Men - dress pants, shirt with or without a tie, no jeans

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. Mid week: Women - Pant suits, no jeans, dress or skirts optional

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Children and teens - same as parents

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  9. Pastor on Sunday - Nothing less than a suit and tie

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  10. Pastor mid week - dress pants, shirt and tie is optional

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet, you all chose to attack and slander me. Go figure.

Well, I guess all children need a boogeyman under the bed to be afraid of.

2. InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I asked you a direct question. You think that is slander and an attack? Sheesh! Lighten up!

Boogymen, what are they? Men not wearing ties to church?

3. JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your illiteracy is duly noted.

4. jbh28 Active Member

JohnDeereFan, could you please give us your biblical understanding how we should dress for worship.

5. JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've already said all I'm going to say about it.

I mistakenly believed I was talking to brothers in Christ and, instead, I just ended up violating the Bible's admonition against arguing with fools according to their own folly.

And, just like the time I was ten years old and accidentally fell into an open septic tank some men were working, I have no desire to jump back into this issue with you because I know it stinks and it's full of sewage.

6. jbh28 Active Member

Seriously, you think that about us. Just because we don't agree with you doesn't mean we are not saved.

Why don't you just answer the question. Or just leave. You are correct on violating rules by calling us all unsaved. As I've said, you have a major attitude problem. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are not saved nor fools. You assumed my church doesn't teach sound doctrine and that I'm not familiar with Scripture just because I don't believe someone has to wear a suit and tie to church. Said, shows your heart problem.

7. JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Given your posts to me, what else should I think? Would you like me to recap what I've gotten from you guys?

I know. That's why I never said that it does.

You mean like I've already done several time?

Please cite the verse where I said you were unsaved? Also, could you please explain why you don't think webdog has violated the rules by declaring me unsaved?

Nobody said it does.

Actually, that's not at all why I said that. Said, shows your illiteracy problem.

8. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remeber an article I read a long time ago about Moody Bible Institute in the early 20th century. The President of MBI told the male teachers not to loosen thieir ties or remove their suit jackets even in the summer swelter.

9. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hes clearly here to only troll. He claims to want nothing to do with us...while posting here daily for 4 years and attacking any and everyone, regardless of doctrine.

You have to wonder if he is some kind of secular outside plant to bring a bad name to christians and Christ.

10. Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

In My Opinion....

And yes...I am aware that NOBODY asked for it...in my opinion, what can and should have been an interesting topic that could help shed light on what Christians should do about their attire so that we might present ourselves in a way that honors God....has now degenerated into a mudslinging contest that neither honors OR glorifies our Lord. If I was a lost man looking at this it would be ample reason for me to think about looking elsewhere for something as an answer to the troubles and emptiness of my life. This is embarrassing. It wouldn't be enough for the mods to close this thread. They ought to outright delete it. Sorry guys...I'm just sad about the current state of things not only in our world but even more importantly, in the church. We are running out of time to make a difference here.

Bro.Greg:saint::tear:

11. jbh28 Active Member

You've been the one dishing it out as well, but let's just drop that and move on.
    You said "I mistakenly believed I was talking to brothers in Christ..." If we are not brother in Christ, then we would not be saved...but if you didn't mean that, then good to hear.

I've yet to see it, but I could have just missed it. Let's see it again and then we can discuss that instead of all the bickering.

12. preacher4truth Active Member

:rolleyes:

No one looks at your wearing a suit and tie as being an example or of as one being of God. A suit and tie don't honor God, the inward man does. What you are using as a basis for honoring God is NOT based in Scripture, it is pure traditionalism. Your clothes don't make the difference, YOU do. Last week I wore a lime green polo and khakis to church. I will wear, Lord willing, something similar this week.

It seems to me (and is quite apparent) that what you are doing is looking down on others who do not agree with your obedience to a man made tradition. The Pharisees did the same exact thing as you are doing here.

Do you honestly think others are looking in (the unbelievers) and believe that those who don't wear a suit and tie, dress or whatever are wrong, and that you are right and they in turn believe that a travesty is happening within the church? Not at all. The only ones balking at it are those steeped in traditions of man, while those who don't go to church think that 'Hey, I don't have to wear a suit to church.'

13. JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The difference is that I know I was wrong to react the way I did. You won't even acknowledge that you did anything at all, much less that you might be wrong..

But you did. Here you go, sport:

But, of course, all those things are OK when you and your little clique do it. Hypocrite.

That's the crap I've been putting up with all throughout this thread and now you want to bat your little eyelashes and pretend you just don't understand why the big, bad man is being so mean to poor, sweet, lil' ol' you.

One of your little clique, amazingly, was honest enough to admit that not once during this entire thread did I ever tell anybody how they ought to dress and yet, that didn't even phase you. You just plowed right on ahead.

And you really don't understand why I think the things about you that I do?

Incidentally, I noticed you skipped over this part of my post: "Also, could you please explain why you don't think webdog has violated the rules by declaring me unsaved?"

Funny how that double standard of yours works, isn't it?

14. jbh28 Active Member

None of those quotes are of me.

Again, those were not by me.

Lets get to topic and stop the bickering.

How do you think we are biblically to dress for worship?

15. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

JDF says he has me on ignore, yet continues to quote me. Dishonesty is my greatest pet peeve.

16. JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So then just brush them off and demonstrate my point that you're a hypocrite.

Sorry, but you don't get to ask questions until you answer my question about why you haven't said webdog's post is a violation of the rules.

He said that I'm not a Christian far more plainly than the posts from which you chose to infer that I said you weren't a Christian.

17. annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd say that this pretty much says it:

18. jbh28 Active Member

i'm not discussing anything with others on this thread. I'm discussing with you.

I'm not going to play any games with you. I'm trying to have a discussion over the topic with you. Will you do that, or are you going to keep talking about other posters?

19. JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're not sincere about having a conversation. If you were, then you would have done so several pages ago.

What's more, I just don't see any wisdom in it. You know exactly what's going to happen. No matter what I say, you and your little clique are just going to make more comments like the ones I've already quoted to you, but that you pretend don't exist because the people who said them are on your side.

20. jbh28 Active Member

I am sincere. Let's discuss the topic. You and me. What do you believe to be the biblical understanding of dress for worship.